New York State Laws on required safety equipment for Seat Bealts, Bicycles and In-Line Skates. The following information is being provided to educate parents and drivers on safety restraints and equipment that is required under New York State Law
Following sections can be found in the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law.
Safety Belts and Child Restraints:
1. VTL 1229c1 Rear seat under the age of 7, child restraint seat required
Rear seat under the age of 16, seatbelt required
2. VTL 1229c2 Front seat under the age of 7, child restraint seat required.
Front seat under the age of 16, seatbelt required
3. VTL 1229c3 Driver seat belt required.
Front seat age 16 and older, seat belt required
1. VTL 1238/1 Allow passenger under age 1 to ride on bicycle or on a pack fastened to the operator.
2. VTL 1238/2a Passenger age 1 to 4 w/o proper helmet
3. VTL 1238/2b Passenger age 1 to 4 w/o special seat.
4. VTL 1238/5a Allow passenger age 5 to 13 to operate bicycle without proper helmet.
5. VTL 1238/5b Rider age 1 to 13 without proper helmet.
1. VTL 1238/5 Age 1 to 13 without proper helmet.
Parents, if you would like a demonstration in proper car seat installation. Call the Baldwinsville Police Department at (315) 635-3131 to setup an appointment with one of our trained officers.